National sleep foundation is a nonprofit organization contain about promoting public understanding of sleep and sleep disorders. The purpose of this organization is to increase understanding of the importance of sleep to good health and productivity. It also guide you how to get a sufficient sleep, solve your sleep problem, expanded scientific research in sleep and sleep medicine, and implementation of public policy to inform and promote sleep education, research and treatment. This foundation is based in Arlington, Virginia.
National news media has covered the promotional activities. Then, the journal of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine published the research of National Sleep Foundation. And the educational conference also has been accredited provisionally for Continuing Medical Education credited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education
If you want to get more information about sleep, the web of National Sleep Foundation provide all you need. It is healthy sleep influencer through sharing, some activities in advocacy and outreach program. The foundation has so many activities. The activities come to advance the purpose. It informs the public about the positive benefits of good sleep or healthy sleep. It provides a sleep health website, covering a science of sleep, design of bedroom, lifestyles, and the effects of age on sleep requirements.
Some of topics that people interest are about sleep problems such as sleep deprivation and sleep paralysis.
Sleep deprivation commonly known as insufficient sleep. This condition have not enough sleep. It can be either chronic or sharp. The level of sleep deprivation also very variant or vary widely. It occur when an individual gets less sleep. They have to do something or stay awake and alert. It happens to adult when they have to do many activities or get insomnia. The older adults seem to be more resistant to the effect of sleep deprivation.
The other causes of sleep deprivation problems include in medical problems, they are depression, obstructive sleep apnea, unstable hormone or imbalance on it, and the chronic health problem. All of it give bad effect for your life. Sleep deprivations danger for all individuals, the effect take more seriously when people with this problem just stay in. some dangers effect are leading to inordinate daytime sleepiness, getting unstable emotional, effecting to job performance, obesity, disturb your quality of life. These are some techniques which can help you to solve sleep deprivation:
It is only needed when a person physically is hard to sleep. This treatment will help a person in physically or psychologically sharing. It offers some techniques to reach a restful and sleep well. There are two main plan of attack of treatment included behavioral and cognitive measures, and medication.
Behavioral and cognitive measures take some effective methods, some of them are relaxation techniques that doing meditation and mindfulness training using audio recording. Then, stimulation control which involves controlling before bedtime activities and surroundings to average the sleeping pattern. The last iscognitive behavioral therapy.
When all the non-medical technique is not effective. You can choose drug to help induce your sleep. Taking the good choice and get to know which one available for you. Some are over-the-counter (OTC), and some are just available with valid prescription. However, it is better that to limit the dosage and try to choose non-medical measures where possible.
2. Home management
The key solving of sleep deprivation is when person has enough sleep. The treatment is to satisfy the biological sleep needed. Following these some suggestions for getting good sleep habits:
- Don’t push your body, just going to bed when you feel tired.
- Keep your going bed and wake-up time consistent.
- Avoiding having dinner or meal 2 to 3 hour before sleep.
- Trying some bored activities when you wake up and fail to sleep again. Another option, going to another room and reading some books to fall sleepy, back to bed then.
- Doing exercise during the day.
- Keeping your bedroom comfortable, quite, and dark to get a good atmosphere. It also needed to set a cool temperature.
- Putting your devices away when you go to bed. You should put them far from your sleep position. It is better that you should not play or hold your electronic device.
The National Sleep Foundation (NSF) 2015 recommended sleep duration for specific age groups, are:
|New born||0 to 3 months||14 to 17 hours each day|
|Infants||4 to 11 months||12 to 15 hours each day|
|Toddlers||1 to 2 years||11 to 14 hours each day|
|Preschoolers||3 to 5 years||10 to 13 hours each day|
|School-age children||6 to 13 years||9 to 11 hours each day|
|Teenagers||14 to 17 years||8 to 10 hours each day|
|Adult||18 to 64 years||7 to 9 hours each day|
|Older adults||Over 65 years||7 to 8 hours each day|
Sleep paralysis is a temporary in ability to move or speak while sleeping or waking up. It is like hallucination happening when falling sleep. During this happening, the visions feel free such as the person in the bedroom. If it happen while falling sleep called as hallucination Hypnagogic, and Hypnopompic when it happen in waking up. People who have narcolepsy experience paralysis. Paralysis usually just happen in a few seconds, it can be very frightening when it happen with hallucination.
Both of hallucination and paralysis caused by a disrupted extremity between dream sleep and wakefulness. How to solve paralysis? Before you find the solution to stay away from sleep paralysis, it suggested that you have to know the ways to wake up from sleep paralysis. Here are some technique you can try are pleasing do not fight, surrender and go with the flow, wiggle your toe, clench your fist or focus on your breath, ask help from your partner then.
How to stop sleep paralysis may be taking long time. It often gets better over time, but you can try some habits bellow:
- Trying not fall asleep on your back. It based on studies have associated happening of sleep paralysis with laying on one back when are going to sleep.
- Avoiding overuse of stimulants, caffeine, such as coffee, alcohol, has not been deemed risky in this context, and surprisingly.
- Learning meditation and muscle relaxation techniques. It may be able to help you going better.
- Improving your sleep habits and sleep environment.
How to have healthy sleep
Sleep hygiene is variety of different practices and habit that are necessary having good night time sleep quality and full day time alertness. Healthy sleep habits and having good quality on your sleep can increase your life better. Having it often referred to as having sleep hygiene. Choosing a longest time sleep also does not give a good sleep for you. These are some strategies to improve sleep hygiene, include:
- Keeping bedtime and wake up time consistent is very importance to help you get a good quality of sleep. Don’t disturb your bedtime on weed end.
- Making a comfortable sleep environment, by managing a suitable bed and sleepwear. And It also ensure the condition of the room clean, dark and cool.
- Reducing light exposure and using night light in the evening.
- If you have trouble in sleeping, avoid a nap and take napping after 3 pm and longer than 90 minutes.
- Sleep on a comfortable mattress and pillows. You should change your pillows if it have been in many years, and keep your pillows away from allergies. National Sleep Foundation pillow suggest that the one that you have been using for many years may have overstep its life expectancy.
- Practicing a relaxation bedtime ritual. You can do a relaxation activity before sleep. Avoid the crowed sound and bright room can help you to take away an excitement, stress or anxiety. Those problems make you to fall asleep difficulty.
- Sleeping on your right side. Taking a wrong side of sleep sometimes trigger illness and sleeping problems such as a diseases, snoring, sleep paralysis, and other illness.
- Taking an exercise regularly. It is very suggestion that If you can take a simple exercise every day. For example is walking in the morning around 30 minutes. You do not need to go gym for getting an exercise. Otherwise, it is forbidden to get exercise 2 hours before sleep.
Getting a good sleep is very important for our life. There are many risks of bad sleep or having problems in sleep. One of the problem is sleep apnea. Sleep apnea is common sleep condition which a person breathing then stop repeatedly that begin during sleep. Around 1 in 5 adults have mild evidence of obstructive sleep apnea. Women who’s menopausal and postmenopausal have an increased effect of obstructive sleep apnea. However, sleep apnea can risk people all of age, including children. It is extremely needed having a good sleep since you are life.
Having good knowledge about sleeping will lead you to be better life. National Sleep foundation lead you to get information all about sleeping. You can be unlimited learning about sleep through many articles about age, bedroom, lifestyle, and science. The National Sleep Foundation also holds federal trademark registrations for “National Sleep Foundation” and other marks as noted in the website. If you are still having sleep trouble, do not hesitate to speak with your doctor or finding a sleep professional. Prioritizing good sleep is a good self-love.