Before we discuss more about insomnia, its better knowing the definition of Insomnia. Insomnia is a sleep disorder that regularly affects millions of people throughout the world. Sometimes people wander how to know if you have sleep insomnia or how do u know if u have insomnia.
Insomnia generally causes daytime sleepiness, lethargy, and feeling unwell, both mentally and physically. Mood changes, irritability, and anxiety are common symptoms associated.
Insomnia is also associated with a higher risk of chronic disease. National Sleep Foundation reports that 30-40 percent of American adults have symptoms of insomnia in the past 12 months. Its also reports that 10-15 percent of adults claim to suffer from chronic insomnia.
Short facts about insomnia:
There are many possible causes of insomnia. It is estimated that 30-40 percent of Americans report experiencing insomnia every year. Often, insomnia is caused by secondary causes, such as illness or lifestyle. Causes of insomnia include psychological factors, drugs, and hormone levels.
Physical and psychological factor are commenly causes of insomnia. There are a number of basic medical conditions that cause chronic insomnia, while transient insomnia may be a recent event or event. Insomnia is generally caused by:
- Disorders in the circadian rhythm – jet lag, changes in work shifts, high altitude, environmental noise, extreme heat or cold.
- Medical conditions – chronic pain, chronic fatigue syndrome, congestive heart failure, angina, acid-reflux (GERD), chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, asthma, sleep apnea, Parkinson’s disease and Alzheimer’s, hyperthyroidism, arthritis, brain lesions, tumors, strokes.
- Hormones – estrogen, hormones shift during menstruation.
- Other factors – sleeping next to snoring, parasites, genetic conditions, overactive thoughts, pregnancy.
Knowing the causes refer to definition of insomnia, analysis your problem or visitting your doctor and then you will know how to deal with insomnia due to anxiety. You also will know which is a good strategy for overcoming insomnia, including how to fall asleep if you have insomnia.
It can be suggested that exposure to light and television can affect natural melatonin levels and cause increased sleep time.
In addition, a study conducted by Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute found that tablet computers with backlighting can affect sleep patterns. These studies show that technology in the bedroom can overcome insomnia, which causes more complications.
According to the American Association of Retired People (AARP), the following drugs can cause insomnia in some patients:
Corticosteroids, statins, alpha blockers, beta blockers, Antidepressant SSRIs, ACE inhibitors, ARB (angiotensin II-receptor blocker), cholinesterase inhibitors. Besides, second generation H1 agonists (not sedation), glucosamine / chondroitin, Signs and symptoms.
Insomnia itself may be a symptom of the underlying medical condition. However, there are many signs and symptoms associated with insomnia:
Difficulty sleeping at night, wake up at night, wake up earlier than desired, still feeling tired after sleeping at night. Insomnia also feel fatigue during the day or drowsiness, irritability, depression, or anxiety, poor concentration and focus, not coordinated, increasing errors or accidents, gastrointestinal symptoms, and worried about sleeping.
Sleep deprivation can cause other symptoms. The patient may wake up feeling not fully awake and refreshed, and may feel tired and sleepy all day.
Insomnia includes a variety of sleep disorders, ranging from lack of sleep quality to lack of sleep quantity. Insomnia is generally separated into three types:
- Temporary insomnia – occurs when symptoms last up to three nights.
- Acute insomnia – also called short-term insomnia. The symptoms persist for several weeks.
- Chronic insomnia – this type is the worst type than others whih commenly occured as long as monts or years. According to the National Institutes of Health, most cases of chronic insomnia are side effects resulting from other major problems.
So now you know the definiton of insomnia, causes, type and how to make a deal with it.